What does being forgiving mean?
To choose not to allow actions of others in the past to determine our behaviour towards them in the future.
If I am being forgiving I can:
- Let go of the mistakes and hurts caused by others and choose to not hold on to grudges.
• Understand that not being forgiving causes us to feel stress and unhappiness.
• Not let problems build up so they become unmanageable.
• Acknowledge mistakes and apologise, showing the habits of being humble, honest and forgiving.
• Be willing to apologise and take responsibility for their own actions.
• Work through conflict in a really positive way and help others to do the same.
• Can build bridges to repair broken relationships.
• Show care and understanding towards others when they make mistakes, even when those mistakes impact them personally.
• Practice tapping and “letting go”.
• Write down any problems and how you can overcome them to make them more manageable.
• Is there someone you have fallen out with? How can you build bridges and show forgiveness?
• Think of a time you have needed to apologise? What were you apologising for? What can you learn from it?